It's The End of The World As We Know It (Week 13) - 2020 Weekly Playlists

Here we are, posting in almost real time! I'm just as shocked as you are. 

It's The End of The World As We Know It (Week 13)

It's The End of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) - R.E.M. from the album Document (R.E.M. No. 5) (1987)
  • Secret time: I hate this song. I'm not an R.E.M. fan, but the song is appropriate. It feels like the world is imploding. 
We Didn't Start The Fire - Billy Joel from the album Storm Front (1989)
  • Twitter exploded with tweets that reworked the lyrics of this song to apply to the COVID-19 craze. They were beautiful and united the world for just a minute. Humor is one of the only ways I've been able to cope with this crushing weight of sadness for others, myself, and the world at large. Plus, I love Billy Joel a lot.
Zombie Zoo - Tom Petty from the album Full Moon Fever  (1989)
  • I remember getting the CD of Full Moon Fever and listening to it all the time on my stereo. I thought this song was funny and cute. For whatever reason, my memory got jogged and I got the urge to listen to the album again. 
Anarchist - YUNGBLUD from the album 21st Century Liability (2018)
  • I got the news this week that YUNGBLUD cancelled the concert I was supposed to attend due to the COVID-19 outbreak. It sucks, but I'm glad he's being safe. This is my favorite song by him.
Run Home Slow: Main Title Theme - Frank Zappa from the album You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 5 (1992)
  • This came on my Liked Songs playlist on Spotify and I haven't listened to Zappa in ages, so I thought I could include it.
I'm Yours - Prince from the album For You (1978)
  • Prince was a virtuosic musician and gifted beyond his years. This song from his debut album where he produced, wrote, arranged, and performed ALL THE SONGS. He was 19 at the time. WHAT!? He was a talented artist and I give him all the props for his generalized perfection in the realm of rock music.
Stockholm Syndrome - One Direction from the album FOUR (Deluxe) (2014)
  • Did I just follow Prince up with 1D? Yup. Do I have any regrets? Nope. I added this song for a morbid reason honestly, but I do love One Direction a lot. I read Jaycee Dugard's memoir and it was suspected she had Stockholm syndrome in relation to her kidnapper and rapist. It blew my mind and made me sad. 
Cuz I Love You - Lizzo from the album Cuz I Love You (2019)
  • Lizzo is a goddess. That's it.
Blue Jean - David Bowie from the album Tonight (1984)
  • While Tonight is not one of Bowie's strongest albums, it had some 1980s sax-heavy bangers that are reminiscent of Let's Dance.
Talk To Me - Kiss from the album Unmasked (1980)
  • Kiss made it 6 years without taking their makeup off. I chose this song for 2 reasons: 1, because Ace Frehley's character (Space Ace) was the best and 2, because I want to talk to people and see people. Going without in-person social interaction is killing me slowly.
Hammer To Fall - Queen from the album The Works (1984)
  • James and I watched Bohemian Rhapsody because I needed to smile for a minute and watching Queen-related stuff can always do that for me. 
Georgia - Elton John from the album A Single Man (1978)
  • Hearing Elton sing about Georgia like this makes me so happy. While the South can be depicted horribly because of its past, there are beautiful things about the landscape and people below the Mason-Dixon Line. 
Purple - Shuggie Otis from the album Freedom Flight (1971)
  • I love a good instrumental and jam sesh. I have grown fond of them especially since seeing the movie Baby Driver and inadvertently hearing all the songs musicians sample from to create the hits we know today. "Purple" is a gorgeous instrumental. 
TEN - Johnny Rain from the album 11 (2015)
  • I found this song while filling out an Instagram story challenge. I ended up loving it!
More Than This - Roxy Music from the album Avalon (1982)
  • James and I watched Knives Out last weekend and this was one of the recognizable songs from the soundtrack. I wanted to include "Sweet Virginia" by the Rolling Stones but it had already been used in an earlier playlist and unlike Lizzie McGuire, I'm not an outfit repeater. Anyway, Knives Out is suuuuch a good movie. 
We're all caught up now, folks. I'll see ya tomorrow with my top 5 of the week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Product Review: Dermactin-TS Pore Refining Exfoliating Facial Scrub

Music Monday: SEXDREAMSUPERSTAR by Brasko - Album Review

You Foolish (Week 3) - 2020 Weekly Playlists