Seeing in 2020 (Week 1) - 2020 Weekly Playlists

The beginning of 2020 was full of optimism, hope, and goals. I started writing a "3 good things" journal where I documented three good things that happened every day (lost track sometime in early March), began graduate school the next week, and became more conscious of my health. I also started logging my musical interests in the form of playlists.

Since I made this playlist what feels like ages ago, I will do my best to give brief explanations of each song added. The link to all the playlists will be in the title header below.


Seeing in 2020 (Week 1)

So Lonely - The Police from the album Outlandos D'Amour (1978)
  • I had just watched one of the Fifty Shades movies (I know, it's trash, but the soundtracks are MINT) and Christian's workout scene featured this playing in the background. I forgot how dang good the song was, so here we are!
Milk Chocolate - Brasko feat. Nai Br.XX from the album SEXDREAMSUPERSTAR (2019)
  • I reviewed SEXDREAMSUPERSTAR last year and am still in love with it. This is one of the slower songs on the album and I couldn't get the bridge out of my head that week.
Can I Kick It - Logic feat. Juto from the album Supermarket (2019)
  • This is one of the best songs off the Supermarket album. The whole record was a leap for Logic as he decided to craft a soundtrack to accompany his book (or maybe it was a book to accompany his soundtrack...) while also departing from the usual trap or message rap he employs on his other albums. This song has a groove that is just sweet. 
Watermelon Sugar - Harry Styles from the album Fine Line (2019)
  • Fine Line stayed on repeat in my car, house, and earbuds the week after it was released. My partner and I would sneak up behind each other and either sing (horribly) "Tastes like straaaaawberries" or "watermelonsugar" ALL the time. 
Circles - Post Malone from the album Hollywood is Bleeding (2019)
  • It took me a minute to finally listen to Hollywood is Bleeding. I honestly can't tell you why because I love Post Malone and most of the other artists he invited on this album. When I finally listened to the album, this was one of the songs that stuck out to me. It's so catchy and breezy!
Beat It - Pomplamoose from the album Tribute to Famous People (2010)
  • This version of "Beat It" came on my Spotify Discover playlist while my partner and I were on way to visit his family on Christmas. It is so freaking cute and is an indie/modern take on the MJ classic. 
River - Live  - Lissie from the album Live at Union Chapel (2016)
  • "River" is one of my favorite winter songs and Lissie is one of my favorite artists. When she released this album years ago, I was so excited to see this was one of the covers she did. Joni Mitchell and Lissie are both gifts to the world, and their performances of this song are proof. 
Waste of Time  - Snow Tha Product from the single Waste of Time (2017)
  • My aunt sent me this song one day and with and accompanying message saying something like "please listen to this- she's going to be in Atlanta soon!" This is an awesome example of a powerful AF song about saying "up yours" to a guy who has been given far too many chances. Snow Tha Product is so dang talented. 
Holly Rock - Edit - Prince from the single Holly Rock - Edit (2019)
  • Prince is my man and he had his hand in so many hits by a variety of artists. From Sinead O'Connor to Chaka Khan, Prince wrote songs for and with a number of talented musicians. His work with Sheila E is well known, too, and this is his version of "Holly Rock." It's sooo good!
Cash Shit (feat. DaBaby) - Megan Thee Stallion feat. DaBaby from the album Fever (2019)
  • New Year's Eve was a blast with two of my best friends. My friend Jay cracked us up when Megan Thee Stallion took the stage and tore it UP rapping "Cash Shit." As DaBaby's part came up, she prompted us with "Just wait, this is my favorite part!" and was outraged when they skipped it in his absence. It was hilarious. She rapped it anyway and we died laughing.
Straight Up - Paula Abdul from the album Forever Your Girl (1988)
  • This was another song that was performed on NYE. Paula Abdul surprised us by still being able to dance and sing without dying. We were out of breath just from singing. 
Love to Lay - The Weeknd from the album Starboy (2016)
  • "Love to Lay" is one of my favorite songs from Starboy. It's a great album and this song reminds me of a modern take on a 1990s "she hurt me" pop song. 
Tom Ford - JAY-Z from the album Magna Carta... Holy Grail (2013)
  • I forgot this song existed and right before I made the playlist, it came on one of my Daily Mix playlists. I lost my marbles and immediately remembered all the lyrics. It was weird but I LOVED this song. Still do!
Paper Cut - Sophie Simmons from the single Paper Cut (2018)
  • Sophie Simmons, daughter of Gene Simmons of Kiss, is a gifted vocalist and songwriter. I admire Sophie for so many reasons. She could have capitalized off her dad's name to get herself to the top of the music industry, but she is making a name for herself without this. Aside from that, her voice is crisp and she has a beautiful range. 
Ain't That Peculiar - Single Version - Marvin Gaye from the album Moods of Marvin Gaye  (1966)
  • This was another song on a Daily Mix that I loved. Everyone loves Marvin Gaye, even if they don't want to admit it. 

There's the playlist for the week! I hope y'all found something new you like or something old you love.  

Allie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Product Review: Dermactin-TS Pore Refining Exfoliating Facial Scrub

Music Monday: SEXDREAMSUPERSTAR by Brasko - Album Review

You Foolish (Week 3) - 2020 Weekly Playlists